How To Keep Your Pets Safe This Holiday Season

Posted by Toni Bolognia on December 21, 2010.

 

Holiday hazard How to keep your pet safe
Electric cords Keep all electric cords securely taped down or out of reach of your pet. Dogs and cats may chew dangling wires and be burned or electrocuted.
Ornaments Hang ornaments out of reach of your pet. Dogs, especially, may eat ornaments or wire hangers, which can get caught in the stomach and intestines.
Chocolate Keep all holiday foods away from your pet. Chocolate contains ingredients (e.g., caffeine) that can be lethal to dogs and cats.
Tinsel, ribbon,
and string
Make sure these are kept out of reach and properly disposed of. If swallowed, any of these can require emergency surgery to remove. Tinsel also has sharp edges that can cut the mouth.
Lilies, other flowers,
and houseplants
Prevent your pets from eating plants or flower arrangements. Lilies are very poisonous to cats.
Christmas tree Put the tree in a pet-safe room or monitor your pet when he or she is around the tree. Dogs and cats may eat the needles (even from artificial trees) or drink the water at the base of the tree, which can be toxic (especially if it contains preservatives).


In many cases, if your pet has eaten or drunk something toxic, warning signs will include gastrointestinal problems, such as vomiting and diarrhea. Other signs may include tiredness and lack of appetite, especially in cats that have eaten lilies. If your pet shows any of these signs, or if you think he or she has eaten something dangerous but is not showing any signs yet, please call us right away. Treating your pet as soon as possible is essential!

Best Friends Animal Hospital

http://www.bestfriendsanimalhospital.com/

Comments

Leave a comment

Comments have to be approved before showing up

>